Parenting Time – Visitation

The Indiana state law refers the visitation as parenting time. Children benefit when they have both their parents in their lives, even in cases that the parents do not live in the same house. Whenever it is in the best interest of the child, the court will grant reasonable visitation/Parenting time rights to the parent of the child whom did not receive the child custody in a divorce case.

If you are in need of help in establishing visitation rights or protecting your visitation rights during a divorce, even to modify an existing visitation plan, we am here to help!  We understand that it is important for parents and relatives to play a meaningful role in the child’s life. We want to help you protect that relationship with your child.

Obtaining a Visitation Rights/Parenting Time for Unmarried Fathers

It is possible for a father to obtain visitation rights even if he has not been married to the mother.  If you fathered a child out of wedlock and haven’t signed an affidavit of paternity, you need to establish yourself as the biological parent of your child.  This is done by filing a paternity action. Once everything is settled, you can file an action to gain visitation rights for your child.

Obtaining Visitation Rights/Parenting time for Grandparents

Provided that one of the parents has unfortunately passed away or the parents are divorced, the grandparents on either side of the family can petition for Visitation Rights/Parenting time for the child. The court will determine what is in the best interest of the child and what kind of relationship the grandparents have with their grandchildren.

FAQs About Visitation/Parenting Time

Visitation/Parenting Time is a complex legal matter which requires further explanation. Don’t hesitate to contact me at (812) 339-3600. Here are some frequently asked questions about visitation/parenting time.

What is a supervised visitation/parenting time?

The parenting time you have your child will have to be supervised, the court may order any of the following parties to oversee this. This includes the social service agency, local probation department, juvenile court staff, private agency or any/another trusted individual. This is usually ordered when the visitation would endanger the child’s physical and emotional development. This can be upgraded to an unsupervised visitation/parenting time if it benefits the child and the situation improves.

Can visitation/parenting time orders be modified?

the answer is yes, orders can be changed or modified in different situations, you would need to file for a motion to modify the order. After doing so, you would need to prove to the judge that a change has occurred.

What is a “Reasonable Visitation”

this is often left to the parents of the child to come up with the terms. This is usually the case when both the parents are cooperating with one another

Contact Michelle Gregory today!
Michelle Gregory can help you pursue a visitation /parenting time for your child! you can call (812) 339-3600 for more information or to schedule an interview or a case evaluation.

You should

Trust Michelle Gregory

  • Twenty plus years of legal experience in Matrimonial Law.
  • Empathize with clients.
  • Has the knowledge, skills and real life experience to resolve complex issues that clients go through.
  • Doesn't make unreasonable promises about your case.
Law firm


H. Michelle Gregory LLC

"Protecting What Matters... Family!"

Address: 101 W. Kirkwood Ave. #006A,
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
Phone: (812) 339-3600
Email Me
Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (Other hours available by appointment)
We Accept All Major Credit Cards
Visit our

Office in Bloomington